Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Eat to Live

Educator
Welcome to my Blog!!  I have been wanting to do this for many years and for many reasons.  I have been a Diabetes Educator and Weight Loss Educator for over 10 years.  I try to "Practice What I Preach"----It is not easy and can be terribly hard for myself.  I have 3 active kids, part-time career,  and everyday stresses.  The economy and food prices are at an all-time high, it is so difficult to to keep weight off when cheap, high carbohydrate, high fat, highly processed foods are staring us in the face at the super markets. I want to share with my family, friends, and clients; healthy food ideas nutrition tips, pointers and an insight on healthy living.  It is not easy to to be healthy, especially on a budget, so I am trying to give some quick easy meals, snacks and exercise ideas that can help you, as well as the sweet amazing children in our lives.  

    I am not only an RN Educator, but I am a listener, behavior modifier, and  I have a Minor in Psychology.  When I meet with clients for the first time, it takes me over an hour to get an insight on their lives.  Everyone is so different with their budgets, time constraints, work schedules, eating habits, etc.  Sometimes all a person needs is someone to listen to them and they can usually figure out what will work for them.  I absolutely love the phrase "Eat to Live"!!  This is soooooo true.  We all know that if we do not eat, we WILL die.  This is the sole purpose of food.  Sure, food can taste, look and smell so awesome at times, but it doesn't always have to, IF it is GOOD for us.  Changing this thought process is not easy, but over time, and as we look at the nutrition labels, learn what we are actually fueling are bodies with, will we ever change.  Many of us only eat for pleasure, joy, sadness, or boredom.  But, we need to "Eat to LIVE"  I was lucky that I was raised with this in my life, as my family was active in sports, I played basketball and soccer my whole childhood and also played a year of college soccer.  

     I use this analogy....You are a VERY expensive car (Jaguar, Porshe, etc.)  You need premium fuel to make that car run.  We as human's need food (healthy food) to keep us alive longer.   The healthier foods we eat, the more energy and fuel we have to keep going.  

Ok....enough about this stuff.  I want to share a quick story:

  Tonight I was showing my husband the large abrasion on my backside from trimming the landscape yesterday.  I said "look what happened yesterday", my son (8 yrs old) walks in and said...."What, your butt got big?" I was rolling and a bit taken back.  Oh my, I am so ready for Spring and to get back to swimming and walking the neighborhood.  

Next Blogs:  will focus more on quick, reasonable, meals and snack ideas that my family eats. I warn you, I am not perfect and obviously my spelling and grammar are NOT, too!!!






2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you are doing this.. GO Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Another great addition to the idea to "eat to live" is one I try to remember, "You are not a dog, don't treat yourself with food." That's my attempt at keeping sweets and fast food out of my regular schedule.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from you...