Search This Blog

Monday, April 8, 2013

Breakfast Idea-Kids

When I wake up with an extra 10 minutes to spare or on the weekends, I like to make the kids a well-balanced meal.  Here is one that I made for them during ISTEP week.  

Spray olive oil in pan and broke the yolk of the egg and cook both sides until the yellow
of the egg is done. (this is the way my kids like them) I alternate using eggbeaters or egg whites for myself.

Sprinkle low-fat mozzarella cheese on top to melt.  Cut egg in half and place on whole wheat bread.
added 1/2 cup applesause, 4 oz. Almond milk, The 3 kids shared a container of greek yogurt.
Little guy was not a fan of the yogurt, so I gave him a little more milk, but this picture reflects my 11 year old's plate.  
      This only took about 10 minutes to make.  The hardest part is cleaning the dishes, and I tend to leave them until the kids are gone to school or wait until I get home from work.  Cleaning of the dishes are so worth it, when you know your have fed your children food that fills their belly and gives them the nutrition that they need to grow strong and healthy.  Setting your alarm 10 minutes early to make breakfast is WORTH IT!!  I always encourage clients to eat "something" in the morning.  You don't have to make a 3 course meal, but getting healthy food in the belly is so important to jump-start the metabolism and can help decrease cravings for the rest of the day.

                                                         Other ideas for kids:
Whole grain cereal and a cheese stick
Oatmeal and a handful of nuts
2 waffles and spoonful of peanut butter
Granola Bar and a slice or 2 or deli meat
Adding a glass of milk and a little fruit can make a balanced meal!


This article below explains the importance of breakfast in children.  Please take the time to read.


1 comment:

  1. As this Educator's mother, I can attest to the fact that she really does lead this lifestyle.
    Her kids (my grandkids) are very happy and lead a very active lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from you...