Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Flounder Fish-What Do I Make?

What do I make?  I ask myself this question many nights of the week.  How do I decide what I am going to make for my family?  Usually, I take a look in fridge or freezer for a lean meat or a protein source from the pantry.  I try to keep frozen fish (tilapia, cod, flounder, and going to find some salmon) lean ground chicken, lean ground turkey, turkey breast, chicken breasts.  Last week when I shopped at a local Aldi's Grocery, I found these 5 frozen Flounder Fish.  I wanted to try something different so, I searched the web by typing in "healthy flounder fillet recipes".  Several popped up, but I liked this one.  I don't typically have all the ingredients for a recipe-but I try to choose the one most appealing and somewhat healthy.  

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Flavorful-Flounder-For-the-Oven/Detail.aspx?prop24=etaf

Since I was missing a few ingredients I substituted for a few.
I switched the green onion for red onion
Regular mayo for mayo with olive oil  
sprinkled the fish with some sea salt
Squeezed the juice of half a lemon
Placed the mayo, onion, parmesan cheese and lemon juice on top of the fish


Baked for 10 min on 375 degrees, then 5 min on broil setting.
Mama portion-1 cup instant brown rice, 1/4 cup mandarin oranges, 1/2 Edemame, and 3 oz. fish
Approx. 45 grams carbohydrates.


While this was cooking I wanted to learn more about fish and the hype of "Is it really good for us"?  All the info about mercury and is it Wild Caught etc.  So with my research, I think it is best to look at the package and research that fish.  I realized that it actually showed where i was caught and it's exact location in the Pacific.  I also found a cool app on my phone-"Seafood Watch".  This can also be found on this website:
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx
Each fish is placed on a "Best Choice", "Good Alternative" and "Avoid".  This Flounder was on the "Good Alternative" list.  I will take it!  

So....did the family like it?  3 of the 5 liked it!  My boys didn't care for the parmesan taste.  My daughter said "wow mom, you are creative and she ate every last bit of it!   I guess you can't please everyone, but I feel like I made am impact on my daughter and it made me feel good about trying something new.

Eating Fish 2-4 times a week is what I suggest to many clients and we try to have ourselves.  Happy Fish Eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from you...