Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2013

McDonald's....It is a Reality

       It is safe to say that many of us have spent a pretty penny on fast food.  We have fed our children multiple happy meals on the go.  IT IS A REALITY.  In our American culture of fast foods on every corner staring us in the face, daily busy lives, and many parents are both working out of the home, it is just so easy to stop and get fast food.  It is an EASY way to feed ourselves and our children.  Many of us have the mentality of when we want something, we want it NOW.  With 3 children in multiple sports and working part-time, I have found my-self running, oh so often, to the "Golden Arches" for a quick meal/snack. 
       The past few days have been a whirlwind for my family as we were rushed to Riley Hospital for an extensive surgery for our child.  Many of you know that there is one restaurant inside the building.  MCDONALD'S.  I was happy to see a couple things when ordering Food.  See Below:
McDonald’s Favorites Under 400 Calorie Menu: Love it or Lose it?
This chart was on the counter next to every register:
Here is another way to view this chart on the McDonald's website:  This site actually shows, the calorie, fat, sodium and protein in each serving.
http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/meal_bundles/favoritesunder400.html

This is also a great article about healthier McDonald choices:
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/sparkdining-eatery.asp?id=3

        Now.....being a Diabetes Educator, I always encourage my clients to stay away from fast food, sit down restaurants, and buffets.  Why?  Because of all the high calorie, large amounts of preservatives/sodium, and unhealthy fats.  I challenge them to decrease the amounts of times they go in a week and to become informed about what is going into their bodies by looking at the nutritional value.  Here are a couple resources to become more aware:

  1. Almost every restaurant has a website:  check your favorite foods under their "nutrition" tab.
  2.  Downloading an app on your phone if you have a capability:  Calorie King (my favorite), Go Meals, My Fitness Pal.  There are also websites for these apps.
  3. Ask for a nutrition fact sheet from the restaurant employee  They should have one available or hanging up on their wall.
       If we lived in a "perfect world" we would make all our meals at home, pack healthy lunches/snacks to work, Dr. appts, and outings, and never eat fast-food.  But, this is very difficult with the world we live in today.  So, becoming informed and choosing the healthiest option most of the time can always help!  Every little healthy change you make, will make a difference in you and your child's health.  

      My child will be discharged from the Hospital soon. It is time to drive for 3 hours, and I am hungry....I wonder what healthy fast food choice I will make.  What choice will you make the next time you are at a drive-through window, or have a menu in your hand???? I sure hope it is an informed choice :~) Share with me how you choose your fast food meal items or how you avoid them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from you...