Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Holy Moly Guacamole!

One of my favorite things to make is guacamole! Avocado's are a Super Food! They have a high quantity and quality of good fats!

If you have not ever purchased an avocado...... here are a couple tips:
1. Make sure it is not bright green-if it is, place in paper bag for a day or 2 till it turns a brown color on the outside.
2. You want to be a soft when you squeeze.
3. If the brown stem falls off when you push it over, it is ripe and ready!

Below is the nutritional value of 1 avocado.  I would suggest that a serving size be 1/2 and avocado.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1843/2

When I buy avocados the next thing I grab for is fresh lime (or you can use lime juice).  They just go together so well in guacamole

The color of this avocado was just right, but sometimes I like them to be even darker!
I enjoy red onion in my guacamole, but you can leave it out.
I have a Tupperware chopper that works amazing.  If you need a Tupperware rep, let me know--I can hook you up with a friend.
Add: 1/4 cup onion, 1 avocado (I just squeezed it out of the shell and threw the pit away), 1/2 lime juiced, and 1/2 cup salsa.

Mix it all up and you have GUACAMOLE!!! (it has a little brown appearance because of the salsa-but tastes delicious!


If you do not have a chopper, than a fork does just as well!  I tend to make my Guacamole different every time.  Sometimes I will leave out the salsa and add chopped tomatoes and onion and garlic powder, pepper.  Your guacamole will have a greener appearance by doing it this way-but it is more work.  (You could even sprinkle in taco seasoning or for lower sodium-try, cumin)!

Instead of using chips with this guacamole, I made Fish Taco's!  See next post.  I saved the other 1/2 of the lime for the Tilapia fish.

Enjoy--and if you haven't tried Guacamole--YOU REALLY NEED TO!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from you...