Search This Blog

Friday, March 1, 2013

Lenten Meal-Potatoes-Good or Bad?

Potatoes get a really bad rap?... Most of my clients tell me that as soon as they knew they had Diabetes they were told NOT to eat white potatoes.  But if you check out the link below we may be missing some really awesome nutrients?

 I have cooked several meals with white potatoes this week, since I found an awesome deal on a 10 lb. bag of them.  But, I know through my teachings that one medium potato has a large amount of complex carbohydrates (body's energy source).  The problem many of us have is eating a large ONE or TWO  in a not-so-healthy-way. (Mashed with butter, cream, sour cream).    
The potatoes that I purchased were all small to medium.  So, since today was Friday and my family chose not to eat meat, we decided to have baked potatoes with tuna and mozzarella cheese.

Mama portion:  2 medium potatoes, with Tuna, light sour cream, low fat mozzarella cheese-- About...60 grams carbohydrates, 6 grams fat,  200 mg sodium
I wrapped them in foil individually and placed them on a cookie sheet for 40 min. at 400 degrees.  While they were baking, I sauteed 1/2 an white onion in skillet with 1 tbs. of olive oil (EVOO..as Rachael Ray would say) for 2 min. and then added 2 cans of drained tuna to warm it.   When the potatoes came out, I topped them with the tuna mixture and topped with cheese.  Nuked it in the microwave to melt the yummy cheese.    I didn't even need the margarine!! The kids devoured them and so did the Hubby. 

Happy Friday to all you Catholic peeps!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from you...