Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday Snack with Turnips

 I purchased these two turnips for $1.00 a couple days ago.  I have tried turnips raw before and I love the taste.  They remind me of a subtle radish and a bitter potato.   Hubby tried it for the first time today and he really liked it raw!  I think this may be a new snack to pack in his lunch! 
 Since many love french fries, I thought I would try to make fries out of these.  
 peeled them
 cut them
Tossed them with 1 tbs. Olive Oil, 1 tsp. of sea salt, pepper and sprayed the foil with Pam spray
The Olive Oil adds 14 grams of Total Fat but, the "GOOD" fat-- see link below for a good explanation:

These are 3 items that I spurge on, but they last forever (More about these items on a later date)
Cooked them at 400 degrees for 30 min. and turned them after 15 min.  

They looked and tasted similar to french fries!  The kids ate a few, but they did not excite them.  However the hubby and I devoured them.  Not sure I will bake them again, since we like them better raw.  It is fun to try new foods, and I challenge all my clients to try a new fruit or vegetable each week.  Remember it can take up to 10 tries of something to acquire the taste for it.  1 cup of Turnip (without the olive oil) is about 30 calories, and 6 grams of carbs.  Great Cheap Sunday Snack!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from you...